Saturday, September 17, 2011

Lazy Saturday

Well, since I don't have any spectacular plans of climbing any volcanoes or surfing 20 foot waves today, I thought I would update everyone on what I have been doing. I know you all have been dying to hear what I have been doing. ;)

I have been settling in quite nicely to life here in Hawaii. Here is a little of what I have been up to and been learning about myself this past month in a half of being here.
  • I love teaching first grade.
  • I love having the beach so close by.
  • Boogie boarding is one of my favorite things to do.
  • I love the people I work with, live with, and go to church with. 
  • I am becoming quite the expert in grocery shopping.
  • I am getting to put to good use all the cooking skills that Amy taught me over the summer.
  • I am learning how to communicate effectively with my students parents (not always easy).
  • I love teaching Math to both of the first grade classes.
  • Hawaiian studies is one of my favorite things to teach, I get such joy from the excitement my students have about it.
  • I am learning to like running (never thought that could happen).
  • The sand on the beaches is wonderful!
  • I have a new found appreciation for cars and miss having one desperately!  
  • I hate the dogs in our neighborhood that decide they all have to howl and bark at seven in the morning on a Saturday!
  • I am so thankful for my roommates.  
  • I don't like getting stung by jelly fish (This happened while boogie boarding last Sunday, don't worry it was little one. I am still alive)
  • I miss my family and appreciate them so much more after living on my own for a little bit.
  • I am very thankful for Kim Hepburn, my partner teacher. Transitioning into my first year of teaching would be so much more difficult without her.
  • God's creation is breath taking!
  • I miss my adorable nephews!
  • I am thankful for Skype and telephones that allow me to keep in touch with everyone back home.
  • First graders can test your patients at times.
  • I have a lot of influence over my students and they look up to me (which means I better be doing a good job teaching them).
  • Kids say some of the craziest things!
  • Can't wait til Grace gets here to visit me.
  • I have become addicted to having coffee in the morning since I have to get up so stinking early!
  • Doing science experiment in kids is so much fun!
  • I like having a home to take care of and clean and cook in (most of the time :) ).
One of the yummy dinners Laura and I made
My pretty painting I bought for my room!
Planting our bean seeds!
Cloud in a bottle experiment... quite the crowd favorite!
Singing our North, South, East, West song.
Our pretty bathroom... For all of those who were dying to know what it looked like! I know you were don't worry. :)


So there you have it! That is a little update of what I have been up to, for those of you who care! :) Miss and love you guys!

Jessica

    3 comments:

    1. Yay! THANK YOU for that update! So great. :)

      I LOVE your new blog look - very you. Way better than what you had before. :)

      Isn't it so true about 1st graders? You love them, they say funny, crazy things, but they also really try your patience at times. I can't imagine having a dozen or so at once. Two is wearyfying enough at times.

      Your such a good teacher - way better than me - you do so many fun things with your students!

      Love you and can't wait for the holidays!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I am glad you like the new looks. I thought this fit me a little bit better :)

      I do love teaching first grade! I am really glad that I bought that teachers journal so that I can write down all the crazy things they say! I will have to tell you what my difficult student said to me on Friday... And I wouldn't call myself a better teacher than you, but I do love doing the fun projects with them!

      Christmas will be here before we know it and I will be running to you in the airport for a big hug! :) Miss you and love you!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Let's skype this afternoon if you have time! I'll be home from whenever church is out until bedtime. :)

      ReplyDelete